Collectable, Classic, and Special Interest Z Cars
A Buyers Guide
by: Carl Beck, IZCC #260
As of: 1 Sept. 2014
While opinions differ somewhat as to the present and future values of the
Collectable, Classic and Special Interest Z Cars. Most Z Car followers
agree that the following cars listed below, fall into the categories of Collectable,
Classic, and/or Special Interest.
First, lets define some terms for use in this discussion:
There is, at present, only one model of the Z Car that has attained "Classic"
status. That is the 1970 DATSUN 240Z. In the general "Collector" car market however, it is generally accepted that the designation of "Classic" to the first year of of a series, applies to all Model Years of that Series.... ie. 1970 through 1973 Datsun 240-Z's.
The First 530 left hand drive Datsun 240Z's that were produced in Oct. Nov. and Dec. of 1969. Due to limited quantities and "Classic" status these are considered by many to be the most collectable regular production Z Cars.
- Datsun 240Z (considered a true Classic by most automotive authorities).
- ZZZap Z - 1977. Special Zapp Package - Bright Yellow.
- Black Pearl Edition - 1978. First Black Z offered, and very limited production.
- The 1979 ZXR is very rare and tied to the racing history of the Z Car (1000 produced)
- The 1980 Tenth Anniversary Edition (3000 produced)
- The 1984 300ZX 50th Anniversary Edition (5000 produced)
- The 1988 300ZXt Shiro Special Edition(1000 produced)
- 1970 - 72
- Nissan Vintage Z Program Cars. - The only Classic Cars Repurchased, Restored and Resold By Its Original Manufacturer. Aprox. 38 Datsun 240-Z's were completed under this Nissan Factory Backed Program.
- The "Special Interest Cars" Listed In the Special Interest Section Below
This "Title" applies to only pure stock cars, as they were delivered
from the factory. This is important to keep in mind - modified cars are
not considered "Classics" for purposes of "Valuation"
or "Show Car Judging". i.e.: any 1970/73 240Z could attain "Classic
Automobile" status, if it has been maintained or restored to "as
Of course the 240Z's produced in 1969 mentioned above in the Collectibles category, are considered as 1970 Model Year Cars, thus they are part of the Classic Car group.
National or International Championship Cars and Factory Sponsored Competition
Any of the Factory Sponsored Race Team Z Cars of Brock Racing Enterprises (BRE) or Bob Sharp Racing (BSR).
Any of the Factory Sponsored Pro Rally and Off Road Racing Cars: [for example]
Pace Car Specials:
- Vintage Racing:
A 240Z with a documented racing history in either SCCA or some Professional Series Events.
These are eligible for Vintage/Historic Racing Series and therefore collectable and special interest.
After Market Conversions:
The SCARAB - an after market V8 Conversion done by Scarab of California
- 1972/73 Ontario Motor Speedway (OMS) Pace Cars, or any of the original 1972 50 duplicates distributed to selected Datsun Dealers in California.
- 1974 Ontario Motor Speedway (OMS) 260Z Pace Car given to Bobby Unser as the winner of that event!.
- The 1975 NHRA Championship Drag Racing - Pace Car
- 1975 Ontario Motor Speedway (OMS) Pace Car